EVERY STEP COUNTS: 04/05/17 – How can I not start this week’s column with the boxing and follow on from last week’s article. I hope lots of you were watching the boxing on Saturday night and witnessed a truly amazing night. There was only one fight that I wanted to see and that was the main man himself, Anthony “AJ” Joshua against Vladimir Klitschko. We were at Wembley to witness a truly amazing match. They both looked in great shape; clearly had put the work in and both gave it their all. In the end, Joshua won and for me he deserved it but WOW, didn’t the challenger give a great account of himself. I mean what a professional. He was graceful, showed true professionalism and I think his public rating has gone up tenfold.
This leads me to this week’s article and it is all about not giving up.
Anthony Joshua showed on Saturday that even when the going gets tough, when you suffer a huge knockdown and you are in the toughest fight of your life, you just sometimes have to dig deep and trust your training and hard work that you have put in.
Nothing worth having comes easy.
All roads that lead to success have to pass through hard work boulevard at some point.
On Saturday, Anthony Joshua didn’t give up. He made the choice to keep going. Not many of you may know this but he also came up with another strategy on Saturday. The cameras picked him up talking with his opponent in the clinch in the tenth round. He told Klitschko that he was going to “whoop his ass” in the next round. His strategy when trying not to give up was to put pressure on his opponent but also state what will happen.
Visualising the future and also saying it have been shown to be powerful methods to help you when the going gets tough.
Maybe you have had a hard day at work and you feel like giving up on your goals?
Possibly, you have been up half the night with your children, the tiredness has kicked in but you should be working out at 8pm tonight?
It may be that everything seems to be going against you at the moment.
I’m telling you right now, don’t give up, don’t just stop trying to reach your goals. Below are a list of wicked tactics you can use to stop giving up. Read all the strategies and see what methods you could adopt when the going gets tough:
- Go for a quick walk, get some fresh air, get the endorphins flying and just tell your body that you don’t want to give up.
- Watch someone do something impossible. When you see this happen, you will be inspired to do something amazing too. I am a big believer in this. One person can change the world…be that person.
- Listen to that tune that just gets you up for life and makes you feel great. For me, listening to some vocal trance always gets me up for a workout. What tune would get you all fired up?
- Go somewhere private and give yourself a good talking too. Sometimes telling yourself to get going and break through an obstacle is just what you need. Don’t be afraid to be your harshest critic, you do know yourself well after all.
- Find an accountability partner and get them to call you out if they feel you are giving up. It’s nice to be encouraged but sometimes the harsh truth needs to be told too. I have had various accountability partners in my time, some good and some bad. Find someone that will tell you the truth, both good and bad.
- Think about your why. What is your WHY for wanting to change? Refocus on this WHY when the going gets tough and I promise you that you will be refocused and get that drive again. My why is always my family, when I need that drive sometimes I just think of the four ladies in my life. Sit down now and write out your why. Put that bit of paper in your wallet or purse and keep it there for when you need it next.
- Finally a really powerful strategy to use…Reframing. Rethink the lens you’re looking at your life through. Instead of really worrying about the struggle you’re in the midst of, remind yourself you’re an AMAZING character in a story, your story. Characters experience conflict and the conflict you’re going through is part of what’s going to make your story so great in the end. Your current circumstances are 100% not your final outcomes. Your circumstances define the conflict, but not the true end result. The harder the struggle, the greater the story FACT. The more triumphant it is in the end when you overcome the conflict you find yourself immersed in. When other people give up, you keep going and remember that there’s more to the story than what you’re experiencing right now. Powerful or what??? This stuff is deep and really up there with mind-set management and owning your own headspace but it works.
So there you have it…7 amazing strategies you can use next time the going gets tough and you feel like giving up.
No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them.
You are allowed to scream, you are allowed to cry but don’t give up.
The ones who win are the ones who keep going after everyone else has quit.
Keep that drive going this month and remember you know where I am when you need that little boost.
I love helping people and I love that feeling when you could give up but you decide not to.
Happy Thursday to you, own the month of May and get those strategies in place so failure really isn’t an option.