EVERY STEP COUNTS: 27/04/17 – Well thank you April. Wow has this month gone fast; I mean does it really feel like we will be in May next week. I know I have said this before but doesn’t time fly by when you are having fun. Having a stag do, a wedding, a concert and two nights of boxing this month really has meant April has just flown by. For me, May is the start of a fun period for me and my family as it is the start of birthday season. My daughter Sienna will be 7 this month, my eldest daughter Summer will be 9 in June and my youngest daughter Sofia will be 3 in July. 3 months of birthdays is amazing for your bank account, even more reason to work hard and be as active a coach as possible.
On that note of being active, I want to talk to you this week about Boxing. You see, on Sunday, we announced the launch of an awesome opportunity for the people of Wokingham. It has been a dream of mine for some time to launch a boxing club for the community, a place where people can join up, train, compete against other boxers or just get fit and healthy. A friend of mine, Matt Howe who runs Maiva Roofing Services contacted me several months ago and the rest is history. With the assistance of Andy Webb, Chairman of the Emmbrook Sports and Social Club based in Lowther Road in Emmbrook, this dream has become a reality.
Wokingham now has a community led, not for profit based Boxing club. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about this project. I think this week therefore I want to talk to you about the benefits of boxing and the benefits you will get by starting boxing whether it be for fun or as an addition to your current training program. I think I have used boxing equipment or boxing drills and conditioning with nearly every single client I have worked with at various times in their programming. I have trained local boxing star Mark Douglas for several of his fights, most notably when he fought on Sky Sports in Cardiff in 2015. I have used boxing drills with my male and female personal training clients and I have used boxing many times with the kids I work with, I have yet to find a client that hasn’t liked doing some form of boxing training. With my positive change, habit based online clients; I have added boxing into their programs to help with stress, habit formation and mental mastery. They too have loved it…so what are the benefits in terms of your health and fitness when adding this amazing tool to your toolbox:
- Boxing can burn as much as 500 calories per session so great for keeping your weight under control and your body at a happy state.
- An increased muscle tone as the whole body is worked from your feet all the way up to your neck muscles. Working the full body has shown to be highly beneficial to your body and great for the busy person too.
- Boxing is associated with bodyweight training and using your own body can really help keep your mobile, flexible, strong for your own weight and overall top of your game.
- Your cardiovascular fitness levels (Heart and lungs) go through the roof when you box. Due to being a full body workout, boxing makes your heart and lungs work overtime to pump the blood around your body. You truly will feel the burn.
- Boxing improves your muscular endurance so that it can transfer onto daily tasks such as walking up and down stairs, playing with your children and even carrying heavy bags.
- Your core will become stronger when you start to do some form of boxing training. Boxing actually involves lots of rotational movements and these types of movements will help you perform better in all the other activities you currently take part in.
- It is a known fact that boxing helps with stress relief. Hitting stuff feels really good, I know this for a fact and if you have had one of those days then boxing just ticks the box. One of my clients Kiara loves boxing. She has a very intense working schedule and likes nothing better than to do some pad work and conditioning. I would go as far to say that she packs a bigger punch than some of the male clients I work with, there is no dust left on the pads after a one on one session with Kiara.
- Finally I have to talk about confidence and self-esteem. Mastering the techniques involved in boxing make people feel pretty amazing. The better your technique, the more force you can put into your punch. The noise that you actually hear when one of those hard jabs or crosses hits the pads is exhilarating. We like to finish off the Hub-X sessions that I run with boxing intervals and I know for certain that it is a part of the night that every single Hub-X member looks forward to.
So there you have it…a vast array of benefits shown above so get boxing into your training program somehow. Dedicate some time each session to it, finish off a session hitting the bag, relax and unwind by doing some shadow boxing in front of the mirror, it really doesn’t matter what you do just get involved in the sport and the method of training that is sweeping the nation at the moment.
For a quick implementation tactic, when you finish your next gym session, finish off with 60 seconds of shadow boxing then rest for 20 seconds and then shadow box again for another 60 seconds. I promise you that you will have a new found respect for professional boxers who can go 12 rounds against each other.
Keep your eyes peeled for more news on our community project that is Wokingham and Emmbrook Boxing Club, this club is a game changer for the people of Wokingham, it really is.
On a final note, let’s all get behind Anthony Joshua when he takes on Vladimir Klitschko this weekend, this guy is a star for the present and the future, you never know, we may get him down the club at some point.
Happy Thursday and I look forward to meeting with you again next week J